Wednesday, March 26, 2008

places to refill your stash in NYC

I'm often asked for good places to buy wool, and as its my favorite way of spending my paycheck - what, you say it's meant to go towards food and rent?? But that would be the sensible plan, and what fun is sensible!

At any rate, here's a list of some of my favorite places to refill your stash in NYC:
Downtown Yarns - 45 Avenue A (betwn 3rd & 4th streets) 212-995-5991
Good prices, great selection of yarns, patterns and books, they're friendly and patient and have the cutest dog ever!

Purl Soho 137 Sullivan St. just below Houston 212-420-8796
Fantastic selection of yarns in every color, Joelle the owner has such a great eye and is also the author of "Last Minute Knitted Gifts". Of course I can't really mention the yarn store without also listing her newest store, Purl Patchwork (located just a few stores away from the yarn store). What can I say - it a pint-size dream for quilters or anyone who enjoys sewing! The fabrics are gorgeous, with lots of Amy Butler fabrics etc. As I live downtown, it's really exciting to have a store like this nearby. Joel recently published "Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts" which has so many cute projects that I can't wait to try.

The Yarn Company is another good place to check out 2274 B’dway (@ 82nd), 212-787-7878. It's not so convenient for me with my commute, but they have a really nice big space and will write custom patterns for you to fit with a yarn.

If you live in Brooklyn, I've heard this place is nice The Yarn Tree 718-384-8030 347 Bedford Avenue

Here is a nice website with many more stores listed, mine are just my personal preferences. http://www.jackie-blue.com/knit/index.php/nyc-yarn-stores/

If anyone has great places outside of New York, I'd love to hear about them! I really enjoy going to crafting and wool stores while on vacation. In fact...I'm currently heading to New Orleans, which has me thinking that I should start scouting around to see what's out there....

No comments: