Coffee Crunch Bars (recipe from Bon Appetit Mag March issue), originally uploaded by She Crafty.
Coffee Crunch Bars
(recipe from Molly Wizenberg in the Bon Appetit Magazine, March 2009 issue)
These are totally delicious, seriously crisp and ridiculously easy. Read the story behind them here
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (firmly packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Whisk first 3 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in another medium bowl until blended, about 2 minutes. Add espresso powder and almond extract; beat 1 minute. Stir in flour mixture in 3 additions, mixing until just absorbed after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips and almonds (dough will be thick).
- Turn dough out onto ungreased rimmed baking sheet. Using hands, press dough into 12-inch square. Pierce all over with fork at 1-inch intervals.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned and beginning to crisp, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on sheet 1 minute. Cut into 48 bars. Immediately transfer to rack; cool (bars will crisp as they cool). DO AHEAD Can be made 5 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.